rookhawk

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Just jotting this down for those of you that like nice hunter's luggage.

Orvis sold a lot of nice luggage over the years, some much better than others, and then at the very end of the run their stuff was kinda crude and low quality. (China?)

I knew that for many years, they subcontracted out to Gokey Leather that was a famous luggage and boot maker in Minneapolis, MN. Eventually, Orvis bought Gokey and they were private labeling their stuff for them. A couple years ago, Gokey was sold from Orvis to Boyt.

Recently, I came to learn that there was another Orvis subcontractor of really nice luggage: "Duluth Pack" which has had only one store for many, many decades. Very good, very expensive stuff. Many of those better Orvis pieces were made by Duluth in addition to Gokey.

J.W. Hulme is also a player, I do not understand whether they were the private label manufacturer, or whether they were hiring Gokey and Duluth to make the stuff for them.

In conclusion, if you're looking for the best safari/hunting luggage, you can search for vintage Orvis, Gokey, or Duluth. It's all the same heavy olive green canvas, same high quality bridle leather corners and buckles. Same very good zippers. Just avoid the 2010ish and newer "Orvis Battenkill" models that are easily identifiable as more of a forest green, more plastic handles and hardware, and lousy zippers. The earlier pieces are all excellent regardless of which label is affixed to which bag.

There is always Saddleback Leather Co. as well. :unsure:

1729617639344.jpeg

I have had a great experience with the Filson canvas and leather luggage! I think it more of less "looks the part" too. They offer a lifetime warranty on it, and I actually tested it out this year. I had a rifle sleeve I bought about 10 years ago and the zipper pull broke off. I took it into the store and they paid for the shipping to and from the factory where they replaced the zipper in 3 weeks. I did not need a receipt or any other proof of purchase. I was pretty impressed.

Check out Serbal in Madrid, Rey Pavon (Spain) and Swaine Adeney in London. Your grandchildren’s grandchildren will inherit the pieces.

Duluth Pack stuff is great but has definitely gotten very expensive the past few years. But it's legendary in the canoe world for durability. I did not know they did work that was branded under Orvis!

I was inside the Duluth Pack store in person two days ago. The products are really good and of high quality. They are also very expensive.

The bison leather bags, duffels and briefcases are amazingly beautiful.

There is a company in West Duluth called Frost River, which I believe is a more economical spin off of Duluth Pack.

John

I have reached a point in life where if it doesn't roll, it doesn't fly. I have purchased a lot of quality classic safari "stuff" for travel. It looks great. Heck, you can even decorate a room with it. Were I a wealthy English aristocrat with a lots of hands loading and off loading it in Portsmouth and Mombasa, I would love it. Dragging it around airports, not so much. Modern military style deployment bags are far superior, and designed for the same basic task.

My desert tan Forceprotector Bag has made at least half a dozen international trips over the last few years and shows no wear at all. Doesn't look like anything Tim Walz would use either. :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on those companies, rookhawk. Very interesting.

I love the look of traditional leather luggage and the canvas and leather Filson and Gokey luggage and briefcases (I think I have 3 Filson briefcases, a Gokey, and one Marley Hodgson Ghurka amongst a number of others). But if you travel much, all of those suck for luggage; they're heavy and not especially well designed for utility. They're function following form, especially for frequent travelers.

As a 20+ year 100K miles per year flyer, I much prefer a Red Oxx Sky Train or Tom Bihn Tri-Star. Both companies make superior quality luggage that is lightweight and highly functional. Both companies stand behind their products without question.

Unless you have a team of porters at each step along the way, ballistic nylon beats the hell out of leather and canvas.

I have reached a point in life where if it doesn't roll, it doesn't fly. I have purchased a lot of quality classic safari "stuff" for travel. It looks great. Heck, you can even decorate a room with it. Were I a wealthy English aristocrat with a lots of hands loading and off loading it in Portsmouth and Mombasa, I would love it. Dragging it around airports, not so much. Modern military style deployment bags are far superior, and designed for the same basic task.
I’ve become a “Function over form” type.

My well used Aluminum flat rifle case with wheels and an aluminum flap folds down that I secure my carbon fiber look plastic carry on to, then stick my 30 year old Pelican ammo/gear case on top of that. With the right balancing point, I can wheel it for miles…

Now, it if it were up to my girlfriend, I’d be dressed like a Spaniard and all my luggage would be Louis Vuitton -however you pronounce that?

My highest compliments to Spanish hunters; they always look dapper and sophisticated!

Last edited:
I have reached a point in life where if it doesn't roll, it doesn't fly. I have purchased a lot of quality classic safari "stuff" for travel. ...
Yep, for Safaris and roughing it I use Pelican air and for regular travel it is Rimowa for me.

I had recommended Rimowa to my mother as well who passed, all of a sudden, a couple of months ago. I got her set and will use them in her memory.

1729635665748.png

Gokey’s stuff is made in Tipton, MO. I knew they made quality goods, and took an interest in their bovine and bison leather rifle case. The description didn’t provide the interior dimensions, so I called their 800 number.
The gentleman who answered the phone couldn’t have been more helpful. He said he didn’t know but that if I held on a moment he’d grab one off of a workbench in the shop. In 30 seconds he returned with the exact dimensions.
I thanked him and he said to please visit them sometime and he’d give me a tour. He said, “just ask for the plant manager!” I told him I was surprised that he was answering calls. He said the receptionist was at lunch and it was his turn to man the phone! I ordered the case and love it.

The Canadian heritage of the aircraft surprised me because the Germans were always credited with the first all metal aircraft capable of transporting passengers or cargo.

So, lest the Canadians get too excited, the skin design gained its fame and international recognition with the fielding of the German JU 52 which first flew in 1930. The first all metal transport aircraft was its predecessor, the Junkers F 13.

JU 52
Junkers-1-1079x720.jpg

Junkers F 13
junkers-f13-01.jpg

However, Rimowa apparently has recreated the F 13 (with modern engine) as part of its design effort and you can order one to carry your luggage! Apparently the replicas are being built in Canada. Very very nice looking luggage,

My desert tan Forceprotector Bag has made at least half a dozen international trips over the last few years and shows no wear at all. Doesn't look like anything Tim Walz would use either. :cool:

If I can’t carry it on my shoulder or on my back it doesn’t fly.

Wheels are good most of the time, but they don’t roll up or down stairs or on rough sidewalks or streets.

Rifle cases are another matter, though; nothing beats wheels for those if you have to fly.

I was off by 10 -15 years. I thought 1940s

Here is the Ford version of the Junker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carmelo040

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia