W&C Scott .600NE Shotgun Conversion ?

I don’t know what’s more concerning, the original problem seller or the seller who has it now who hasn’t realized or recognized the issue(s)

It's a damn shame. I'm a real sucker for those beautiful Webley & Scott PHV-1 actions.

It’s Ok @Hunter-Habib that doesn’t look to be a PHV-1 action but has a Greener top fastener/Bite .

He must of got a good deal on .600 barrels & W.C Scott 10ga shotguns some where, on saying that I would be surprised if it wasn’t the same rifle, it got a little heavier some how & he is alluding to it being rebarreled by Scott at a later date ?

Hopefully the firearm or arms are safe enough but financially the owners are screwed over ?

Last edited:
@rookhawk is absolutely correct. This isn't just a rebuild, it is a counterfeit rifle. The electro pencil engraving should be obvious to anyone who has ever just held a British firearm. I am really surprised to see Dismal River offer this thing for sale. I have purchased a couple of very fine firearms from Dr. Steffen over the years, though the last was probably fifteen or more years ago.

Also, no side bolsters on the action? You may find that feature missing from the occasional smallbore, or even on a bargain-basement modern double rifle built on a shotgun action, but you will not find a mega-stopper built without bolsters on the sides of the action.

Here’s another one. It was a real double rifle based upon the action shape, OR it was fairly proficiently filed down to create side bolsters. It has an extended top tang, so my vote is that this one really was a double rifle.

Notice anything similar to the OP gun and the fake August Schuler? The same style of quarter rib work? Same tale of “in from a European collection”?

Quite a cottage industry of making up 600NEs it appears.

Attachments

The builder was some faker but used the same style on those sights also, he was close to doing a good job, making a replacement stock on that one but his attention to detail let him down, inletting is way off.

Still 20yrs back when I really really wanted a .577BPE/LN TLHL & was looking to have someone build me one on a big shotgun action, I would have loved to have his number !

I think that was a shotgun to start also, a fair few European Shotguns have side bolsters, even low grade ones, I have/had a few myself.

IMG_7547.jpeg

IMG_7548.jpeg

On checking the sellers site it is obvious they are forging multiple Double Rifles built on Shotguns & Shotgun actions, 45/70s a plenty & others by the looks, if in hand you could tell immediately, some have stocks built by the same guy/shop.

Last edited:
Here’s another one. It was a real double rifle based upon the action shape, OR it was fairly proficiently filed down to create side bolsters. It has an extended top tang, so my vote is that this one really was a double rifle.

Notice anything similar to the OP gun and the fake August Schuler? The same style of quarter rib work? Same tale of “in from a European collection”?

Quite a cottage industry of making up 600NEs it appears.

Damn, I was actually initially hoping that this one was real. But I thought it quite unlikely.

So far as as my knowledge goes, only one real vintage Belgium made .600 Nitro Express double rifle exists to date- A Jules Bury boxlock non ejector (the company built only one).

Damn, I was actually initially hoping that this one was real. But I thought it quite unlikely.

So far as as my knowledge goes, only one real vintage Belgium made .600 Nitro Express double rifle exists to date- A Jules Bury boxlock non ejector (the company built only one).
Would have been great to ask Cal about that as he was very into his .600NE & 4 Bores amongst others.

Would have been great to ask Cal about that as he was very into his .600NE & 4 Bores amongst others.
Definitely. His John Wilkes boxlock non ejector was a real thing of beauty. Only nine made in the entire world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kapil

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia