Politics

Not just Texas but many states and as @mdwest said it’s a majority; also if you start looking at some of the terrain the hunting blind/feeders are established it’s truly a testament to modern man.

Now having said that, I do enjoy sitting over a turnip field with a .300Wby and 14x Leupold, but see it no less sporting than my 30-30 over a feeder.

One place I hunt in Oklahoma got 75 DMAP tags, if it wasn’t for food plots and feeders we would never be able to take that many deer & also allows us to be very selective in our culling.

The place I mentioned above that is mostly pine gets over 400 tags a year from MLD and is outrageously overpopulated.. the 3 different leases that use the land take about 200 a year.. and then we put together a couple of “veterans” hunts that will take another 20 or so off the property… it’s absolutely impossible to keep up…

A trapper took over 2200 hogs off the property 2 years ago… the pigs are already back in full force and big numbers…

Per a previous thread/post, what happened to the use of cotton seed everyone was raving about?

Cotton seed is not for attraction. It’s a supplement. And you have to stop its use at least 2 months before the rut or you will not get a fawn crop next year. Another problem with cotton seed is cattle will eat it too.

Cotton seed is not for attraction. It’s a supplement. And you have to stop its use at least 2 months before the rut or you will not get a fawn crop next year. Another problem with cotton seed is cattle will eat it too.
Very interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Deer corn, 40 or 50 pound bags ;) You guys crack me up. If you checked the price per bushel at a local grain elevator, corn is 56 pounds per bushel. You are paying a lot for the convenience of those bags!

I haven't added up how much corn equivalent we feed per day as it's a bit complicated by the various commodities such as distillers and corn gluten feed. For example 6 pounds of corn gluten feed is roughly equal to 4 pounds of ground corn and 2 pounds of soybean meal. Then there is corn silage which is our main feed ingredient.

I know about 2 or 3 years ago we looked closely at our feed consumption in Kansas because i wanted to justify whether or not we should build an enclosed feeding facility. We were feeding right at one million pounds of feed per day there (about half our cattle head count, but heavily on the younger and smaller side so way less than half the pounds of cattle, or feed consumption). We had 10% shrink, mostly wind loss. Needless to say, we built that feed mixing shed :) Put in electric mixers, etc.

Yep, I fill 55 gallon drums out of storage. Can’t imagine paying bag price for corn!

Explain to me the "sport" involved in sitting over a feeder that broadcasts corn at 1/2 hour to sundown.
I'm willing to listen, but dubious.
Because there's precisely zero guarantee they're going to show up before sundown.

Come hunt a place where the timber and underbrush is so thick that 50 yards of visibility is good. Not pine timber, mind, but deciduous trees like cow oak, American sycamore, American elm, American beech, cherrybark oak, red oak, post oak. Walking quietly only happens for a few hours after a rain. Once the leaf litter dries out, walking across it is about as quiet as walking across aluminum foil, shattered glass, and cymbals.

We put our tree stands and ground blinds between bedding and feeding areas, and put out corn feeders. We put out multiple stands and ground blinds around these areas so we can play the wind. More days than not, we still don't see any deer. We know they're there, we see them daily on our game cams between about 7PM (~30 minutes after legal shooting has ended) and 3 or 4 AM.

Between my brother-in-law, my best friend, and myself, a good season sees about 10 deer harvested on that 120 acre plot, but 6 or 7 is more common. Archery season starts October 1st, rifle season starts around November 15th and ends the Sunday before MLK day, then primitive rifle and archery pick back up and run to the 2nd week of February. We hunt most of that.

If it were as unsporting as you make it out to be, the 3 of us would have 18 deer in the freezer before Christmas. We pass on obviously young bucks and small does, but if it looks 3 yo or older, it's getting shot. Each of us gets 3 antlerless, 2 antlered, and 1 either/or tag each season.

For black bear...go to north central Idaho and try to spot-and-stalk. I didn't believe there was any place in the country with thicker timber than my place in Louisiana. I hunted for black bear there a couple years ago for a week, we freshened the baits daily, never even saw the first bear.

Last edited:
Land in Texas is about 98% privately owned. If your property is 80 or 100 acres spotting and stalking is difficult and God help you if you cross the wrong fence during your stalk. I have hunted the King Ranch, 880,000 acres, and we did it spot and stalk. I have also hunted a friends 80 acre place over a feeder. Both were legal and IMO ethical. I try not to be judgemental or tell others how to hunt even though their methods might not to be to my liking. If you object to feeders by all means don't hunt over one but please don't try to impose your opinions on others.

As fun as stalking the deer woods is , I wouldn’t do it on a piece of property less than a couple hundred acres for fear of bumping deer onto another property just to get shot by trigger happy neighbors.

Bye the way I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt bait in some of the thickets I’ve seen in Texas and other places I just prefer not to on my property. I do buy the Alabama bait license just in case I get an invite to some friends property.

Last edited:
I can see using a feeder for hogs, which are invasive vermin, but on a game animal...
Many peoples up here bait bears, which are kind of native vermin. It's legal, but I can't see it as sporting. Possibly a contributing factor in my lack of success as a big game guide.
If you're just going to shoot something over a feed pile, why not just buy a steer from Action Bob and shoot it at the feed bunk?
Hunt the way you like to hunt. Thats what its really all about....

But, don't criticize the way someone else legally hunts. There are lots and lots of different styles of legal hunting and just as many or more styles of animal management plans.
I have a friend who is completely anti bow hunting. He thinks it's immoral and should be outlawed. He hunts with a rifle every year....
I am firmly in the camp of let folks hunt how they want as long as its managed and does not muck it for the rest of us....

Explain to me the "sport" involved in sitting over a feeder that broadcasts corn at 1/2 hour to sundown.
I'm willing to listen, but dubious.
So....you would feel as well that it was unethical to hunt near an acorn tree dropping acorns, or an apple or persimmon tree, etc. SINCE THE DEER WOULD PROBABLY HAVE THEIR HEAD DOWN FEEDING?! You only hunt by picking up tracks and following them, like the Benoits? Or just wander around hoping to get lucky because, not knowing where a deer might be feeding or when, you also would not know which direction to hunt, just letting any old prevailing wind be your only guide? Balderdash!
Hunters who don't set up the feeders with respect to prevailing winds, or don't refuse to sit in them when the wind is wrong, or don't approach right even if the best approach means crossing a stream (and we know most deer hunters won't do that) don't get the big bucks. IT IS ACTUALLY HARDER TO PATTERN A BIG BUCK AND KEEP HIM FROM PATTERNING YOU if you hunt feeders. Soon they know your habits better than YOU do. They don't get old by being stupid. And if stand hunting was so smart and automatic everyone would have an alpha buck on their wall....but they don't. It is still an even game.
Having feeders up doesn't mean that'a all that hunter knows how to do, either. I have had as much luck hunting TRAILS that went to neighbor's fields and feeders. Will I now have to change my ways, I mean-- pity the little deer who was just on his way to eat somewhere on a trail that wouldn't exist in the first place except for some feeder or farmer.
Just because you have a feeder up doesn't mean you don't hunt the rut--but it just might mean that more does hang around your place, waiting to come into heat. Oh, and should we even use deer calls that trick bucks into thinking there is a receptive doe...that is as natural as putting his little head down to feed, which is now to be considered unsportsmanlike. Maybe we shouldn't even hunt the rut. Just hunt deer after that have fed, bred, and said their prayers. To be really fair, we should anthropomorphise them all we can. They should be killed by noble rules--just like the rules wolves and bears adhere to...
I have heard your kind of argument against feeders for decades, usually from some yankee curmudgeon who thinks that getting a deer only every year or two in the underpopulated northern big woods is OK and even expected, just so long as he wasn't baited. And let's not even talk about running deer with dogs as is still done in the south! (everybody knows you should shoot them on the run when pushed by human drivers, like a driven hunt in Europe) Using dogs instead of humans--inhuman!
Consider as well that "clients" or people with only a week or two to hunt have to do the best they can or plan to fail most of the time. I think most outfitters would do anything they could to reliably put a client on a deer--even feeding?
Should we also take advantage of clear cuts and high line corridors because they are somehow artificial, and man made? We'll all fool around and disqualify everyone except ourselves before we know it. And I hope you don't hunt the winter "deer yards" up north, with the poor little deer stuck there and no where else to go...don't feed them either, that would be an addition to nature's way.
And I hope you don't even own a four wheeler or other "cheating" contrivance, lol. Yeah, tough luck, all you disabled hunters, too, that need a little help. TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK, folks....

Alabama legalized baiting a few years ago, another way for the conservation department to make more money. I personally don’t use “bait” but do plant corn, beans and food plots for the wildlife. The majority of my deer hunting is in a thick swamp where baiting would probably help me kill a few more deer a year. On my planted areas behind my house I think I’ve shot 3 deer in the 30 years we’ve lived here. I do hunt back there, if you want to call it that, sitting in a stand with a rifle watching wildlife.

I should amend this, if legal if people want to bait have at it . But I think you should bait with something besides empty calories like corn, soybeans have more nutrients I think. And do it year round.

I have shot a grand total of 3 animals using bait , 2 feral hogs that I actually had to get a permit for ( prior to the state legalizing bait ) and a bushpig in RSA.
If you're planting to attract and feed deer, YOU ARE BAITING. You are using live bait....and big deal!

Last edited:
Because there's precisely zero guarantee they're going to show up before sundown.

Come hunt a place where the timber and underbrush is so thick that 50 yards of visibility is good. Not pine timber, mind, but deciduous trees like cow oak, American sycamore, American elm, American beech, cherrybark oak, red oak, post oak. Walking quietly only happens for a few hours after a rain. Once the leaf litter dries out, walking across it is about as quiet as walking across aluminum foil, shattered glass, and cymbals.

We put our tree stands and ground blinds between bedding and feeding areas, and put out corn feeders. We put out multiple stands and ground blinds around these areas so we can play the wind. More days than not, we still don't see any deer. We know they're there, we see them daily on our game cams between about 7PM (~30 minutes after legal shooting has ended) and 3 or 4 AM.

Between my brother-in-law, my best friend, and myself, a good season sees about 10 deer harvested on that 120 acre plot, but 6 or 7 is more common. Archery season starts October 1st, rifle season starts around November 15th and ends the Sunday before MLK day, then primitive rifle and archery pick back up and run to the 2nd week of February. We hunt most of that.

If it were as unsporting as you make it out to be, the 3 of us would have 18 deer in the freezer before Christmas. We pass on obviously young bucks and small does, but if it looks 3 yo or older, it's getting shot. Each of us gets 3 antlerless, 2 antlered, and 1 either/or tag each season.

For black bear...go to north central Idaho and try to spot-and-stalk. I didn't believe there was any place in the country with thicker timber than my place in Louisiana. I hunted for black bear there a couple years ago for a week, we freshened the baits daily, never even saw the first bear.
I live in a place where 50 yds is a long way in the brush.
You guys have convinced me. As long as it's legal, it's ethical. Nancy Pelosi can make millions trading stocks based on legislation that hasn't happened yet.
Abortions til birth are cool as long as your state (like mine) hasn't restricted them.
Minnesota says there is no obligation to aid a newborn if the mother doesn't want it.
I get it.
I'm done.
Good-bye.

If you're planting to attract and feed deer, YOU ARE BAITING. You are using live bait.
Call it what you want, when we moved onto this property it was one big pasture with a small stock tank. No wildlife used it at all. Over the years I’ve planted pine trees, oak trees, bedding cover, nesting cover escape cover and food crops, I even scraped out a couple of low spots and plant rice. Now I have ducks, quail, deer and doves along with a lot of other wildlife using it . Like I said I’ve shot 3 deer in 30 years here. If that’s baiting in your opinion I guess I’m guilty.

Call it what you want, when we moved onto this property it was one big pasture with a small stock tank. No wildlife used it at all. Over the years I’ve planted pine trees, oak trees, bedding cover, nesting cover escape cover and food crops, I even scraped out a couple of low spots and plant rice. Now I have ducks, quail, deer and doves along with a lot of other wildlife using it . Like I said I’ve shot 3 deer in 30 years here. If that’s baiting in your opinion I guess I’m guilty.
I'm in favor or baiting!!!!! That's why I added, "and big deal!" Your place sounds great. You will. doubtless soon reap the rewards of your labor many times over. Yeah, you're guilty--guilty of having honorable and legitimate FUN.
Anyway, I'm a little confused sometimes...I thought you were the other guy.

These folks pop on the site periodically on various threads condemning the way deer are typically selectively hunted and managed in Texas - and frankly, much of the Southeast. To date, I have yet to have one of these self-righteous critics, subtle or otherwise, who actually has tried to penetrate several hundred acres of mesquite or fall scrub oak to offer his first hand experience in how best to differentiate and selectively cull a 3.5 year-old eight pointer from his 2.5 year old half brother with great potential. Raise an objection to their judgemental ignorance and the next thing you know they are telling you how to vote. :E Angel:

You guys have convinced me. As long as it's legal, it's ethical. Nancy Pelosi can make millions trading stocks based on legislation that hasn't happened yet.
Abortions til birth are cool as long as your state (like mine) hasn't restricted them.
Minnesota says there is no obligation to aid a newborn if the mother doesn't want it.
I get it.
I'm done.
Good-bye.

You seem to confuse legal with ethics and morals..

Legal is pretty self explanatory… there is a law involved…

Ethics are based on a community’s values and are often recognized by a social system or an external source..

Morals are an individual’s understanding of right and wrong…

Your personal morals make you dislike hunting bait…

Ethics and law clearly support hunting with bait associated…

I get it.
I'm done.
Good-bye.
Ok don't let the door knob hit you in the ass on the way out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marshalldillon

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia