White Sands NM Oryx-Any Experiences Good or Bad

uplander01

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, Mozambique, Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Oueen Charlette Isl), USA Rocky Mountain Region, Alaska
This has always been on my list of things to do. Has anyone here ever been there and done this hunt, if so with which outfitter? Going to see whats all involved and start the process with drawing this winter......

There are a couple of people on the forum. @rookhawk ’s son got the tag for off-range IIRC. There’s actually an outfitter for that area that is a forum member too.

It was one of my bucket list items until I shot one in RSA. There are definitely a bunch of them in WSMR and around it, and there’s nothing like needing a UXO (unexploded ordinance) briefing to go hunting :LOL: (on WSMR).

Good luck!

The current President of our local SCI chapter told me that he bagged his Oryx at White Sands. His had horns that were a bit shredded along their length and were shorter than typical for RSA but it was still a lovely beast and a bit closer to home. I failed to ask but would assume that you can keep the meat on those harvested in New Mex? That alone is a plus as Gemsbok is fine eating.

One of the hardest things to do is to just draw the tag to go hunt them.

I have a couple of friends who have been putting in for years with no luck.

I applied every year for 10 years and no luck. I gave up and went to Africa.

I drew this tag in 2019, hunt was in January 2020. I put in for NM elk every year for the last decade, no luck. I put in for Oryx and I drew the first year. Draw odds suck, 5% or so, but it is purely a lottery so it can happen. It is an amazing hunt. We hunted Rhodes Canyon Range. It is a tough hunt due to the openness of the county and very little cover to help hide your stalk. Also, expect long shots as a result. (300+ yards were typical). At least this was the case for me on Rhodes Canyon. I would assume similar at Stallion Range but I'm not certain. We were supposed to hunt Stallion Range, but they canceled it at the last minute due to military exercises - last min cancelations are a risk since military ops come first. It is only a two day hunt, maybe 2.5 if you wrap up the intro and training part early. I hired a guide, since I had no idea what to expect. Honestly, I don't think a guide is necessary at all. Drive the roads and glass until you find a group then you plan and put a stalk on them, typically at least a mile away. They are as skiddish as anything I've hunted. They see you or wind you they are gone i don't care how far away you are. then you go back to the truck and do it again. there is some competition as well, and I had other hunters botch up one of my stalks as they were trying to beat me to the herd and shot and missed from a half mile away. that only happened one time. Hunter orange is mandatory so you can see if other hunters are making a stalk on a group of oryx from a long way off. I finally killed on the last afternoon. Yes you can keep the meat and yes it is amazing. I put my son in for the draw every year with no success. If someone on this forum draws a tag I am happy to give pointers or heck i would even try to drive out to NM for the hunt and "guide" you at no charge - because its a hell of an experience and i would go back in a heartbeat. My son and I with my NM White Sands Missile Range Oryx below:

1729781719261.png

One of the hardest things to do is to just draw the tag to go hunt them.

I have a couple of friends who have been putting in for years with no luck.

So here's the thing, my son pulled the 1600:1 odds non-resident off-range Oryx tag. Do you know what that accomplishment was actually worth? ZERO DOLLARS.

Because you still have the problem of access to the land. What did we pay in tresspass fees to get access to the land adjacent to WSMR? About the SAME DAMNED PRICE as calling the outfitter, buying his tresspass rights, guide service, and his landowner tag.

If you're going off range, don't waste time trying to draw a tag, its all nonsense. Just call Iron Sights outfitters or another similar guide service and get access to the tag/land/professional whenever you want to do so. Draw is irrelevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeWill

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia